Parcels, Passengers and Accompanied Luggage
This process facilitates the clearance of passenger baggage, and / or parcels upon arrival at a gazetted point of entry into Uganda either by Air, Water, Road or Rail. The embarking and disembarking of passengers and their clearance is done only at customs gazetted areas such as Airports, landing sites, seaports and points of entry at land borders.
Why it is necessary to carry out Customs Cargo Clearance?
- It saves clearance time for imported goods below the $50 since clearance is done there and then on arrival.
- It is cheap as there are no storage and clearing fees involved since goods are tax cleared on the spot at the point of declaration.
- It is cost cutting for small importers who carry out cross border trading.
- The passenger needs to present original and authentic documents.
- The passenger also needs to have a valid passport.
- The Import Duty free allowance will be granted only to passengers who have attained the age of eighteen years.
- Bonafide Change of Residence will be subject to exemption from tax if the officer is satisfied that the bona fide changing residence from a place outside a partner state to a place within a partner state.
- Imports carried as baggage by persons on a temporary visit (for a period not exceeding three months) to a partner state and intend to leave with them as they depart from the country, will be exempted from tax.
- Goods originating from the East African Community attract 0% import duty on condition that they are accompanied by authentic Certificates of Origin.
- Returning travellers with goods worth US $ 500 for each traveller are exempted from paying duty. This applies only to a person who has been outside Uganda for a period exceeding 24 hours.
- Un processed foods and other agricultural items like fruits, flowers, cuttings, seeds etc, and live pets require clearance from the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries.
- The importer is supposed to be aware of goods which are prohibited and restricted.
- The goods that are imported by a returning resident being anemployee of an international organization the headquarter of which are in a Partner state, and who has been recalled for consultations at the organization's headquarters.
Access User Guides for Passenger arriving with Cargo below:
Clearance of Cargo for Air Passengers
Clearance of Post Parcels
Clearance of Cargo from Inter-State Shipment
Clearance of Cargo from Inter-State Buses
Related Service Guides
Are you bringing goods in Uganda Here is your service Guide...